Thursday, March 14, 2013

The bar scene, not my scene

So I was able to get some 'exploration' time by myself in Nha Trang City. Took the bus into town from Dien Khanh. Cost less than 20 cents to take the bus and it goes right through the centre of the city. Those that know me, know I love to walk. So I got off a few bus stops early from where I was planning to head and walked through the tourist district. Got a better lay of how things have changed - and boy have they changed! Not many places I went to 5 years ago are left. I also took a walk along the beach, pretty much going to the very south end (and braving the traffic along with it - I had to cross the road a few times). I have a much better sense of Nha Trang now and this knowledge has already helped me know where to take the kids. It was also nice to have a night out, although I've certainly outgrown the bar scene.
I started out at Louisiane - where I had a 'warm up' beer. Their black beer is really good, much better than anything I knew I would for the rest of evening. 750ml cost me almost 4 bucks. By Canadian standards, a bargain, but quite expensive for Vietnam. But the place has more of a restaurant feel, so if you are solo, you're likely not able to strike up a conversation with anyone.
Next was Guava.This was probably my favorite place when I lived in Vietnam. The owner, Quinn, is a Vietnamese Canadian who is a really nice guy. He has lived in Nha Trang for 10 years and is raising his family here. He has a 6 year old. So if you have questions about what to do with kids in this city, he's the guy to know. Had a couple of beers here on the first round - cost me 2.50 including tip. Tipping is optional in Vietnam. According to the guys at Guava, if you leave a tip great. If you don't, the waitresses are not bothered by it. And the tip can be anything 10 cents or 5 bucks, there doesn't appear to be a guideline. I tend to tip if the service is good, and usually to round numbers. For the record, my wife is a better tipper than I am. But she has worked in restaurants for 7-8 years (in Canada and Vietnam), so she knows what these people go through.
I know the food is good at Guava, so I decided to try somewhere else. Especially since I think I'll be eating at Guava a fair bit - I still think its the best place in town. I tried out a 'new' place called Booze Cruise. I thought it was the former site of the old Irish Pub, so thats why I went there. Well, although their website does market them as an Irish Pub (so it is still perhaps on the same site, I know nothing otherwise), it is a booty bar, pure and simple. The waitresses wore shorts so short that I wouldn't let my daughter out of the house with them on. Didn't talk to anyone while I ate my burger (the burger was good), the other patrons were too busy talking up the waitresses. Beer was still a buck, but it was a lower quality beer than other places. The rest of the beer was marked up significantly.
After dinner I still had to a while before my wife could come to pick me up, so I went to another bar called the Watering Hole. Beer was still buck, talked to a retired Canadian for a bit. This guy has also been in Nha Trang for a while, nice chap. The Watering Hole is an expat bar, I was the youngest person in the bar (and also noted that the waitresses were the only ones not sporting a y chromosome). It was alright, dunno if I'll go back.
So I ended up back at Guava. A few more people were at Guava at this time (about 8:30 at night). Wife picked me up and we met up with some of her relatives for soup and smoothies in Dien Khahn.
When I go out, I want to meet some interesting people, maybe learn a thing or two about another culture, and enjoy some good food. I had a good chat at Guava with Quinn and his British manager. The bar was quiet that night so there will be other opportunities to meet others there.
I followed Quinn's advice and took kid1 to Nha Trang Centre the next day. Its a department store/entertainment complex. It has an arcade, bowling alley and small children's play park. Kid1 enjoyed it, but was a bit bored because he only had daddy to play with. We played some video games. We also found another amusement park at the 'Cultural Centre'. We went on a couple of rides, and looked around. We will definitely be returning, there appears to be a lot to do and all the rides are kid1 friendly. Some of them could even accomodate kid2.
So Nha Trang has a bit to accommodate the family, although it is still the backpacker/Russian party zone of great repute. Now, we just gotta steel our nerves and be more comfortable driving through its traffic!

No comments:

Post a Comment