Monday, March 11, 2013

Change is good?

I lived in Vietnam a year before my wife, kid1 and I moved to Canada. When I say I lived here, I truly did - on a farm 15km from the centre of town, working as an English teacher so I could save money and return to Canada. I never did the tourist thing here in Vietnam while I was here, never had the time. In that year, driving up and down that highway into town everyday, walking around the farming village and eating tons of local food, I made a lot of observations. Vietnam is a developing country, the things we take for granted in Canada often just don't exist here. They have many conveniences that we have of course (like cell phones - but many people don't have smart phones yet) but its a mixed bag of what you see and don't have any access to (like frozen foods - only exist in the city at the large supermarkets and I don't know if a lot of people cook with them yet)
A lot has changed in 6 years (of course). In just the farming neighbourhood that my wife grew up in, there are far less wooden shacks. There were houses that didn't have doors, they now have doors and windows. Quite a few places have sattelite dishes, including our own houses - channels include Disney and CNN/BBC.  Prosperity is starting to happen. Its still a hard life compared to Canada, but things are changing.
The biggest change for me though is that I can't see the stars anymore. 5 years ago, the farm had the best stars I've ever seen. Now, you can hardly make out the bright stars. This surprises me a lot, that development happened that quickly and that the light pollution encroached so much. But the nearest town (Dien Khahn) has grown so much. There are even traffic lights on the main highway now. Nobody really obeys them and they are not in places that make much sense. One of the major intersections in the country doesn't have lights but intersections with minor country roads do... But that's just Vietnam.
In Nha Trang city, tall, chain hotels are becoming the norm. And they are crowding out the road along the beach. They are starting to build more on the beach, which I think is very disappointing. Having an open beach like they do in Nha Trang is one of the main attractions to this beach within the city. Knowing Vietnam, there probably isn't a followed master plan, prime real estate will just go to the highest bidder.
There are a lot more Russian signs compared to 5 years ago. Quite a few more Vietnamese visiting the beach areas too. Garbage is more prevalent. To be honest, Nha Trang is starting to look more and more like Taiwan - industrialized but still very Asian.
My wish for Vietnam is that development is taken in a sustainable fashion. They really need to pay attention to the garbage and pollution- this will have lasting consequences if they don't. Infrastructure is really lagging, one major 2 lane highway serves most of the country. Otherwise, Vietnam does have quite a bit going for it and I've always been optimistic for this country. A lot happened in 5 years, but they still have a long ways to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment