Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Not quite the end of the world...

My predictions on elections are always wrong. I let my bias get in the way. I usually get the local feeling right, but I have trouble predicting what people in other regions might be thinking. I don't do enough research about other localities.

But I don't think anyone really predicted the results on Monday night's election. Sure, Tories were predicting a Conservative majority and ND's were predicting they would win at least the opposition, but few people could have predicted that Liberals would lose so many seats or that the NDP would sweep Quebec so completely. This is what makes elections so much fun and why I am such a junkie. Canadian elections are truly an example of local level decision making carrying over to the macro level. For me, its better than watching a sports final because it has so much more relevant to our lives than sport.

Now, as a former Liberal and a Anything But Harper voter, one would think I might be quite disappointed with the election results. But that's the will of the people. I learnt long ago that I don't carry the same opinions as everyone else, but democracy is democracy. Sometimes democracy is about consensus making and sometimes its about bold leadership. But the common thread is the ability for anyone in the society to say what they want and to make a decision about who they want to represent them.

So I will watch this government. I will criticisize this government. Sometimes I might even agree. In the next four years I hope that another party will  start saying things that other Western Canadians will listen to. It took 20 years for the Quebecers to open their ears, hopefully it won't be that much longer for Western Canadians to open theirs. Enjoy your 4 years Harper, with luck, they will be your last.

No comments:

Post a Comment