Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Giving up on the Federal Liberals

Since I was 18 years old I have been a member of the Federal Liberal party. During the late 90's and early 2000's I was very active in the Young Liberals, both provincial and federal. I was a Liberal in Alberta and I was proud of it. But things have changed. It was a gradual change, not one event changed the party in Alberta, but since Paul Martin, I feel the federal party has given up on Alberta. And Albertans have given on the Liberal Party.

This election exemplifies it. In Red Deer they needed to parachute in a candidate from Edmonton - Andrew Lineker. A guy who placed 7 out of 8 in the Edmonton mayoral election. While he might have good credentials in another riding, he has none in Red Deer (although I doubt it since he place so low in the Edmonton mayoral). Now, I understand the need for a parachute candidates, but Red Deer is a major city in Alberta. Our city council is actually quite progressive. But the party has done nothing to build up support here. I have talked to my old friends and they agree that besides for a few targetted ridings in Calgary and Edmonton, the Liberals are not nominating quality candidates.

Now, to be a candidate is not an easy thing. My hat goes off to anyone who tries their hand at it. But, as my years of training in the Young Liberals have shown me, some people make good candidates, others don't. Campaigning is certainly a skill you can learn, but as the people's representative you need to have a vision that matches the people you wish to represent. People need to buy into that vision because it speaks to them.

Earl Dreeshen is a good candidate. But he follows the Tory party line far too closely (although I'm not sure if he has a choice). Harper runs counter to what I believe this country can accomplish, so I cannot vote for him. Ignatieff is alright and if there was a worthwhile candidate here in Red Deer, I would consider voting Liberal again. Now, like a lot of Canadians Layton has caught my attention. I can at least stomach his vision, although I am not sure what he will do economically, especially with our most important economic engine - the oil sands. But the NDP candidate here in Red Deer, Stuart Sommerville, appears to be a pleasant young man. I haven't been able to go to the forums but I've been reading what he has to say and it works for me.

So for this election, I believe I am going to vote NDP. Now, this won't have any effect on the results in Red Deer. The tories have a lock here. But I am still expressing my voice. And I am saying 'GET A CLUE LIBERAL PARTY OF CANADA!'.

No comments:

Post a Comment