Sunday, January 17, 2010

another reboot

While discussing the latest labour market statistics might be interesting for some, I realize (now) that for most people it is quite boring. While I very much believe that these things do influence our lives, it is time to move onto a more interesting and dynamic topic - Alberta's culture.

This topic is not without it's detractors I'm sure. How the heck can I discuss Alberta's culture when the whole nation is mired in a debate about whether we can even define Canadian culture? Well, first of all, I am a strong believer that Canada does possess a strong and vibrant culture unique to itself. You see, I believe culture is more than the TV shows a country watches, the celebrities it idolizes and the opera it produces. I believe culture is a collective road map that a group of individuals follow, whether at the micro or macro level. Culture is the means we get to work, what we talk about when we get there and what we do after work. It is individual choices and the array of choices that present themselves to an individual. Culture is no less than the collective expression of a group of people. So a lot of Alberta's culture will have similarities to the rest of Canada and English speaking North America. But some things are unique, and that is what I want to talk about.

There are plenty of stereotypes that exist about Alberta. Images of redneck, highrolling, conservative , arrogant cowboys spring to my mind. But this stereotype does not do the 3.5 million citizens justice. Alberta has a strong multi-cultural community. It is a province with several dynamic and growing cities that is still proud of its rural heritage. From the stage in Rosebud to Manulife Place in Edmonton to the cathedral in Grouard, Alberta's culture is informed by it's history and shaped by each individual who inhabits this province. It cannot be pinned down to an exact definition, but it can discussed. And that is what I hope to do with this blog.

1 comment:

  1. evening squire,

    I'm just a random reader--- I think I subscribed to your RSS feed through Daveberta. Speaking for myself, if you have an informed opinion about Alberta labour statistics (something which I can't claim to be very knowledgeable about), I'd like to read about it.....for me, it's only boring if the author doesn't really believe it's interesting

    for example, when people talk about the top jobs ten years from now not even existing yet, what does that mean for Alberta? Have we become a one-trick pony economy? What kinds of labour trends mesh with our culture and represent opportunities for the future?

    ReplyDelete