Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Big Black Cloud

On Canada Day, if anyone was outside after 6:30pm in Red Deer and area you couldn't miss the big black cloud that came from an oilfield transport company fire. Some people went to watch, but I decided to let the fire department(s) do their job tried to find out more information from home.

I access most of my news from the internet. In theory it should be the quickest way to get information out and ready to read. I don't bother with TV unless its a big national event and I only listen to radio in the car. I subscribe to the Advocate but I only have time to read a few articles a day. Call me ADHD but the internet satisfies my need for news.

So, there was plenty of pictures and broadcasts on Twitter and Facebook. But I couldn't get the full story. While social media is great for getting the news out, it not really accurate. This is why there is still a need for traditional media. We need professional reporters who are able to investigate a situation and give us an accurate portrayal.

There has been a lot of lamenting about losing the TV station. We've had a number of radion station fill the void, but they are music centred and I find that their news departments are lacking. Its also very hard to check like 8 different radio stations. The Advocate has moved to a pay format for local information but I didn't get any information about the fire until the next morning when I got the paper. Maybe I didn't check back late enough. This fire didn't even register a hit on the national media.

Its hard to find out what is going on in Central Alberta. This saddens me. We have a drawing area of close to 200,000 people. In Canada, this is not a small population centre, although it does get dwarfed by the two 1 million people centres to the north and south of us. There is a lot of things going on here in Central Alberta. But very little is being said about it. I wonder if an all news/talk radio station would work for Red Deer and area. As a news/political junkie, I would listen to it. I wonder if anyone else would.

No comments:

Post a Comment