Monday, August 17, 2009

This blog took a different direction than I origanily started with

So there it is, there's the confession. And somehow a 30 year old with a comic book fetish doesn't seem unusual. Afterall, comic books have developed into a diverse and mature medium. They encompass everything from Archie's and anime to very dark and disturbing pieces like Sandman or Swamp Thing.

My preference is for superhero comics. When I was a teenager I collected Batman and X-men (I was collecting during Marvel's Age of Apocalypse). But then my comic book store closed and I quit buying. My interest was rekindled strangely enough when I was in Vietnam. A co-worker was also an avid reader and he introduced to a lot of good stories. I don't get much opportunity to read, but I try to keep on top of what is happening.

Some comics are good, others are not. I've reread some of the stuff I read as a kid and its all of varying quality. But during my comic education in Vietnam I was introduced to some solid writers. As the readership grew up, so did the writers. Now there was some good writing back in the 80's and 90's but there was certainly a bias towards big boobs. Now, the boobs have become realistic as the expectations of the read have shifted.

I want something to capture my imagination and take me on a journey. This applies to the books I read, to the games I play and to the TV I watch. This is why I enjoy comic books - a world is crafted for me to explore and then tells me a story. After I finish I can think 'what a world that was, I wonder...'

I'm a very creative person. I create new worlds often. Or I use the worlds others have created and think of my own stories. I seldom write anything - I just play itout in my during my walks or at bedtime. I try to improve on comic book worlds that others have created or even just try and start with a fresh canvas. But there is a wealth of creativity out there. I hope in the next few years that I can continue reading comic books and maybe, just maybe I can start to put down some of my ideas down onto some sort of medium. I have a hundred ideas, some are developed over an afternoon's walk, others have been in development for a decade.



No comments:

Post a Comment